ot only that, but each new Trainer level will also give you a series of items, which become more lucrative the higher your level, unlocking more powerful Pokéballs and more.If you want to gain EXP quickly, then there’s a number of smart ways in doing so – including a way to get a staggering 60,000 EXP in 30 minutes.Use a Lucky Egg to double your EXP gains
Before you set off on any method of gaining EXP in quick succession, one item is essential – the Lucky Egg. Activating one of these will trigger an EXP boost, doubling all gains for the following 30 minute period. If you maximise this time correctly, then the gains can be huge.
A Lucky Egg is a guaranteed drop when you hit Trainer levels 9, 10, 15, 20 and 25. They are also rare discoveries and PokéStops, and can be purchased with PokéCoins in the game’s shop – though remember there’s a way to get PokéCoins without spending any cash.
While you can evolve any Pokémon within that window to gain 500 EXP per evolution – or 1000 EXP with the Lucky Egg multiplier – the reason why you go after Pidgeys, Weedles and Caterpies is the amount of Candy required to evolve them is less than other Pokémon – a scant 12 Candy compared to the usual 25 or 50 of other creatures. It also helps that they’re very common finds.
As a comparison, you need 25 Candies to evolve other common creatures such as Rattata, Eevee or Oddish. If you need help farming specific Pokémon or certain types, then use our tips on how to find Pokémon nearby.
To get the most out of this method, capture as many Pidgeys, Weedles and Caterpies as you can, with each capture giving you Candy and a potential creature to evolve. Remember you can get free Candy by transferring them back to the Professor, but make sure you have enough to actually evolve. Thankfully, there’s a handy online calculator named PidgeyCalc that will work out exactly how many you need to transfer to maximise your time, and how long it will take.
If you prepare this method correctly, and have the exact right amount of Pokémon and Candy when you use the Lucky Egg, it’s possible to evolve up to 60 Pokémon within 30 minutes – earning you a staggering 60,000 EXP.
- Catch a Pokémon with a Curveball – 10 EXP
- Catch a Pokémon with a Nice throw – 10 EXP
- Catch a Pokémon with a Great throw – 50 EXP
- Catch a Pokémon with an Excellent Throw – EXP
- Capture any Pokémon – 100 EXP
- Catch a new Pokémon – 500 EXP (+100 EXP for the above)
Interacting with PokeStops and Gyms:
- Interacting with a PokéStop – 50 EXP
- Winning a Gym training session in your gym – Varies based on CP difference
- Winning a Gym battle vs one Pokémon – 150 EXP
- Winning a Gym battle vs two Pokemon – 250 EXP
- Winning a Gym battle vs three Pokémon – 350 EXP
- Winning a Gym battle vs four Pokémon – 450 EXP
- Winning a Gym battle vs five Pokémon – 550 EXP…and so on!
Evolving and hatching Pokémon:
- Hatching a Pokémon – 200 EXP
- Evolving a Pokémon – 500 EXP
- Evolving a new Pokémon – 500 EXP (on top of the standard 500 EXP for evolving)
- Hatching a new Pokémon – 500 EXP (on top the standard 200 EXP for hatching)
If you want to combine some of the above in a smart way, we highly recommend activating a Lucky Egg in an area filled with PokéStops.
In the right areas of cities such as London, Brighton or Birmingham, you’ll find streets filled with them, making it a great opportunity to use a Lucky Egg as you explore, since many come one after another. Otherwise, find an area where you can loop back round and revisit older ones after the five minute expiry to use them again.